While nearly 90 percent of your donations go toward their designated program, have you ever wondered about the other 10 percent*? The Joseph School is 501c3 nonprofit, which means the entirety of its operational costs come from donations, just like yours! While the primary programs, such as ‘Friends for the Future,’ ‘Food for Education’ and ‘Teacher Sponsorship’ require the majority of TJS’s resources, your donation helps support many different sectors of The Joseph School.
TJS is excited to share five aspects of The Joseph School you may not know your gift supports…
Many challenges face Haiti, especially in recent years. The security team makes sure the campus remains a safe and secure place for every TJS student. TJS head of security, Johny, provides training for his staff to equip them for any security challenges or dangerous situations. The TJS campus covers several acres, so lights have been installed across the campus and the entire security team is supplied with walkie talkies to help with communication.
The school bus provides transportation to and from school for many of our students. Other students arrive by walking to school, by parent transportation, and some come by tap tap (public transportation).
The Joseph School understands the importance of equipping our students with computer skills. With the generous gift from our donor partner Marketing Research Education Foundation, TJS has purchased computer tablets that are fully loaded with lessons, tutoring programs, academic games, and mastery learning tools. These tablets do not need WiFi but come with a modem. They come in protective cases and are waterproof. Grades 6th and 7th will have access to these tablets initially, but we are hoping to add more in the future for the 4th and 5th graders.
TJS rents a small house that is near the main campus. This guesthouse has bedrooms, bathrooms, and a kitchen. It is available for teachers who live far from the school and need a place to stay for the week. If there are dangerous weather conditions or road closures, teachers and staff have a place to sleep for the night.
The majority of the campus is powered by solar panels that are installed in each classroom building. Pumps bring water to the toilets and bathroom sinks for the students to use.
A generator powers the kitchen stoves for the school meals. TJS students are provided with two meals a day. A small breakfast meal and then a full meal of rice, beans, protein, fruit, and occasionally a treat such as cookies or small cakes. The cooking staff are a dedicated group of women who arrive at the school early to begin preparation of meals from scratch with all fresh ingredients. They are committed to providing nutritious meals. They receive updates and training in professional nutrition classes to make sure TJS students are receiving healthy balanced meals.
It’s no secret that The Joseph School is a special place. The success of its programs and its students relies on the generous donations of donors, like you! The Joseph School’s primary focus will always be providing students with a holistic education, but we hope this blog shines a light on the many aspects of TJS that go into making our mission a reality.
*Nearly two percent of funds go toward fundraising efforts including, but not limited to: the cost of personnel in accounting, management and fundraising expenses, including salaries.